Screencast: Finder Window Icon Trick

To celebrate Mac Day (any Steve Jobs keynote address deserves a worldwide holiday as far as I’m concerned), I’ve decided to do my first screencast, so you’ll have something to play with while waiting for the MacWorld madness to begin (it also helps justify my purchase of ScreenFlow a few months ago).

Thanks to the awesome folks at Viddler for making my life a bit easier once I got past the “export” stage…

This item was posted by Dan Rubin on Monday, June 9th, 2008.

16 comments on “Screencast: Finder Window Icon Trick”

1. Posted by Jonny Haynes on Monday, June 9th, 2008.

Great tip Dan, I’ve been looking for something like that for ages. Cheers.

2. Posted by Colin Devroe on Monday, June 9th, 2008.

Nice tip. Now if you could just do a screencast of how to be more awesome, my life would be complete.

3. Posted by Travis Vocino on Monday, June 9th, 2008.

That is one insane Dock you’ve got there my friend. I’m assuming you use Spotlight or Quicksilver to open apps, why do you feel the need to put every application ever on your Dock? :)

4. Posted by Garrett Dimon on Monday, June 9th, 2008.

You can also put them over in the left bar if you don’t like cluttering the toolbar. Drag and drop still works.

5. Posted by Josh Walsh on Monday, June 9th, 2008.

Cool Tips. Thanks Dan.

6. Posted by Dan Rubin on Monday, June 9th, 2008.

@Travis: I put my common apps down there – since it’s out of sight, I don’t mind having a longer list of apps as an alternate to typing into Quicksilver. I’m a big fan of always having multiple avenues to OS or application functions.

@Garrett: Good point, though more people seem to know about that than the window toolbar.

7. Posted by Bryan Veloso on Monday, June 9th, 2008.

I would also like the screencast of how to be more awesome. Actually, this trick has made me feel more awesome ever since I went, “WTF” at seeing them on your screen. But since that’s self-contained awesomeness, it doesn’t apply.

Also, if anybody wants the “icons that Adobe should have used for Photoshop” you can find them here: http://macthemes2.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16785477

8. Posted by Mark Evans on Tuesday, June 10th, 2008.

Nice little trick. Appreciate the insight.

9. Posted by camron flanders on Thursday, June 12th, 2008.

I find that a very handy place for time machine, easy to access. nice screencast and a great tip.

10. Posted by WordSkill on Thursday, June 12th, 2008.

Excellent, thanks, keep ‘em coming!

11. Posted by alexdc on Monday, June 16th, 2008.

Nice tip, Dan, thanks! I like the convenience of dragging a file onto icon to open it. Sweet.

12. Posted by www.msnli.com on Thursday, July 31st, 2008.

Excellent, thanks, keep ‘em coming!

13. Posted by Axel on Sunday, August 3rd, 2008.

Really nice tips Dan ! Thanks for this !

14. Posted by Sci on Wednesday, August 6th, 2008.

Neat trick

15. Posted by Gratis on Friday, September 12th, 2008.

cool trick! i looking for something like this :-)