Screencast: Finder Window Icon Trick

To cel­e­brate Mac Day (any Steve Jobs keynote address deserves a world­wide hol­i­day as far as I’m con­cerned), I’ve decided to do my first screen­cast, so you’ll have some­thing to play with while wait­ing for the Mac­World mad­ness to begin (it also helps jus­tify my pur­chase of Screen­Flow a few months ago).

Thanks to the awe­some folks at Vid­dler for mak­ing my life a bit eas­ier once I got past the “export” stage…

This item was posted by Dan Rubin on Monday, June 9th, 2008.

16 comments on “Screencast: Finder Window Icon Trick”

1. Posted by Jonny Haynes on Monday, June 9th, 2008.

Great tip Dan, I’ve been look­ing for some­thing like that for ages. Cheers.

2. Posted by Colin Devroe on Monday, June 9th, 2008.

Nice tip. Now if you could just do a screen­cast of how to be more awe­some, my life would be complete.

3. Posted by Travis Vocino on Monday, June 9th, 2008.

That is one insane Dock you’ve got there my friend. I’m assum­ing you use Spot­light or Quick­sil­ver to open apps, why do you feel the need to put every appli­ca­tion ever on your Dock? :)

4. Posted by Garrett Dimon on Monday, June 9th, 2008.

You can also put them over in the left bar if you don’t like clut­ter­ing the tool­bar. Drag and drop still works.

5. Posted by Josh Walsh on Monday, June 9th, 2008.

Cool Tips. Thanks Dan.

6. Posted by Dan Rubin on Monday, June 9th, 2008.

@Travis: I put my com­mon apps down there — since it’s out of sight, I don’t mind hav­ing a longer list of apps as an alter­nate to typ­ing into Quick­sil­ver. I’m a big fan of always hav­ing mul­ti­ple avenues to OS or appli­ca­tion functions.

@Garrett: Good point, though more peo­ple seem to know about that than the win­dow toolbar.

7. Posted by Bryan Veloso on Monday, June 9th, 2008.

I would also like the screen­cast of how to be more awe­some. Actu­ally, this trick has made me feel more awe­some ever since I went, “WTF” at see­ing them on your screen. But since that’s self-contained awe­some­ness, it doesn’t apply.

Also, if any­body wants the “icons that Adobe should have used for Pho­to­shop” you can find them here: http://macthemes2.net/forum/viewtopic.php?id=16785477

8. Posted by Mark Evans on Tuesday, June 10th, 2008.

Nice lit­tle trick. Appre­ci­ate the insight.

9. Posted by camron flanders on Thursday, June 12th, 2008.

I find that a very handy place for time machine, easy to access. nice screen­cast and a great tip.

10. Posted by WordSkill on Thursday, June 12th, 2008.

Excel­lent, thanks, keep ‘em coming!

11. Posted by alexdc on Monday, June 16th, 2008.

Nice tip, Dan, thanks! I like the con­ve­nience of drag­ging a file onto icon to open it. Sweet.

12. Posted by www.msnli.com on Thursday, July 31st, 2008.

Excel­lent, thanks, keep ‘em coming!

13. Posted by Axel on Sunday, August 3rd, 2008.

Really nice tips Dan ! Thanks for this !

14. Posted by Sci on Wednesday, August 6th, 2008.

Neat trick

15. Posted by Gratis on Friday, September 12th, 2008.

cool trick! i look­ing for some­thing like this :-)