Preparing for the Storm

Update: Thankfully, Ernesto turned out to be a non-issue, and provided nothing more than some wind and rain (the wind is still blowing today, but nothing too severe down here).

As Hurricane Ernesto continues to bear down on the coasts of Florida, I’m working on getting as much work and writing done before the power goes out as I can. The storm isn’t major on the scale at the moment, and isn’t likely to strengthen before making landfall tonight, but the winds will still be strong enough to do some damage (and projectiles abound in South Florida).

Rather than post updates about the storm, I’ll just point you to Dan Benjamin’s WeatherDan, where he’s keeping watch on Ernesto, and any other storms that come our way this season. Oh yeah, and I threw together the logo for him as well.

Thanks to all of you who have sent well-wishes so far, I’m sure we’ll all be safe, but it never hurts to keep us in your thoughts (that includes Scrivs: he’s in Florida too…)

See you on the other side… of the storm, that is.

This item was posted by Dan Rubin on Tuesday, August 29th, 2006.

9 comments on “Preparing for the Storm”

1. Posted by Garrett on Tuesday, August 29th, 2006.

We wait around for months and months to hear brilliance uttered from your lips, and all you give us is a post about a silly little storm?

Seriously though, good luck w/ the whole hurricane thing. :)

2. Posted by Matthew Oliphant on Tuesday, August 29th, 2006.

Good luck, man. Don’t get dead. ;)

3. Posted by Chris Griffin on Tuesday, August 29th, 2006.

I expect full updates during the storm from WeatherDan, I’m depending on him completely. And a power outage and/or flash flooding is no excuse!

On a serious note, good luck! If it makes landfall as a Tropical Storm it will be nothing more than a lot of rain, but I know you already knew that.

4. Posted by Alexander Obenauer on Tuesday, August 29th, 2006.

Hey good luck man.. I can’t imagine living there with all the hurricanes.

5. Posted by jharr on Tuesday, August 29th, 2006.

Like I said earlier this week, it’s not why I’m leaving Florida, but it’s certainly a positive. Tough to trade the beaches and sun, but whirling death isn’t as cool as it looks on teevee.

6. Posted by Mike Stickel on Tuesday, August 29th, 2006.

Good luck Dan. Hopefully it doesn’t even carry enough strength to take out the power. Let us all know how you faired when it’s all said and done.

7. Posted by Wade Winningham on Wednesday, August 30th, 2006.

I assume by this point you’re getting some rain and wind but nothing nearly as bad as it could be. Then again, falling trees could be a problem!

8. Posted by Dan Rubin on Wednesday, August 30th, 2006.

Things are quieting down now, there were some decent gusts last night and even early this morning, but it looks like Fort Lauderdale made it through with nary a scratch.

The local news stations are calling Ernesto a “dud”, which might be asking for more trouble later in the season, but it’s an accurate description.

9. Posted by Chris Griffin on Wednesday, August 30th, 2006.

Bring it on Mother Nature! I’m not scared of your silly hurricanes!