Dvorak’s Cry For Help

Writing has a way of cutting you off from the outside world. At least, that’s what I’ve experienced these last few weeks as I’ve been digging into my latest project for Apress, so I can understand (at least to a degree) how it is possible for such a prolific author as John C. Dvorak to not have heard of the many available resources for learning Cascading Style Sheets, thus resulting in his recent frustration with CSS.

Now, as I myself have only become aware of Dear John’s consternation (due, of course, to my head being stuck inside a Word document — let’s not even talk about me not hearing about the whole Castro power switch, living in South Florida and all…), I felt that it is my duty as a responsible member of the CSS community to help out in some way, albeit a few days behind everyone else.

So, John: Seeing as it is purely a matter of education (or lack thereof), after consulting with Simon, Jeff, and Ian, it has been decided to provide to you, free of charge, copies of our most recent books: Beginning CSS Web Development (Simon’s new book, and which I had the pleasure of Technical Editing) and Pro CSS Techniques (by the “3 CSS Musketeers” Jeff, Ian and myself). When read in order (starting with the “beginners” book is a safe bet) these will give you all the knowledge you need to overcome your deep-seated fear and loathing of CSS.

We’ll send them to you as soon as the ink is dry, and all for the cost of sending an note to any one of us with your mailing address. We’re waiting for you, John.

This item was posted by Dan Rubin on Monday, August 7th, 2006.

9 comments on “Dvorak’s Cry For Help”

1. Posted by Jina Bolton on Monday, August 7th, 2006.

“you need to overcome your deep-seeded fear and loathing of CSS”

And that’s exactly what his post exuded… fear. I hope he takes up your offer. :)

2. Posted by Chris Griffin on Monday, August 7th, 2006.

I noticed you, Jeff, and Ian are the authors, but why did they feel the need to exclude you and Ian and give Bryan Veloso credit on the actual cover. He’s so rebellious and wreckless that doesn’t even support IE6 on his own website! :)

Anyways I wish this book was around about 2 years ago, It would of really helped. I’m surprised a (good) beginner’s guide to CSS hasn’t came along earlier than now, no wonder people think the web standardistas are elitists…haha

If this book can teach Dvorak CSS, then you’ll know that this book will be successful. Good Luck.

3. Posted by Lea on Tuesday, August 8th, 2006.

I think Molly beat you to it :)

4. Posted by Dan Rubin on Tuesday, August 8th, 2006.

Chris: It’s yet another ploy by Veloso to get his name known around the world.

Lea: I know :) In fact, there’s a link to her offer in my post (see: “Dear John” in the text). Before reading her post, I had the same idea, but then it morphed into an offer from the 4 of us to just send him our books :)

5. Posted by Matthew Anderson on Thursday, August 10th, 2006.

Genius! Dvorak’s marketing tactics are getting old. This is a great alternative to writing an enraged blog post (which is exactly what he is looking for). Good luck!

6. Posted by Quentin on Monday, August 14th, 2006.

To the defense of Mr. Dvorak, it is kindof a surprise to see just how easy all the cool new web page stuff is to do. Been learning (through digging through Mr. Rubins code) some of the ways modern web coding works. Ya but the fact is that he is a man with a following…a lot of people read his stuff!! Still, I\’d say cut him some slack.

[Edited by Dan to remove non-related political statement – please keep comments on-topic]

7. Posted by Joel on Wednesday, August 23rd, 2006.

So if Bryan wasn’t an author, how’d he get his name there?

8. Posted by Dan Rubin on Thursday, August 24th, 2006.

Ah, Joel, that’s the trick to figure out, now isn’t it… ;)

Bryan was an author originally, but circumstances prevented him from working on the book, thus Ian and I were enlisted to round out the team…

Or you could just say that he’s a mad Amazon.com hacker with Photoshop skillz. ;)