Default Browser:OmniWeb

Note: Originally posted on the OmniWeb Forums (registration required).

I’ve been on the fence as far as my primary browser is concerned (call me a “browser agnostic” if you will), but find myself using Firefox with tons of extensions for the last 9 months or so, on all my machines (Mac & PC).Camino? Looks nice, but not enough features (one good example of making something too simple in my opinion).Safari? Nice, especially with a few plugins, but gets bogged down too quickly for some reason (I can keep Firefox open for weeks with tons of tabs, and no problems — Safari? not so much…).

OmniWeb has always looked nice, had nice features, etc., but as a web developer (and web junkie — ahem, Flickr user…) I haven’t been able to use it because of its older rendering engine. Even so, I recognized the importance of trying to make the best browser on the Mac, so I purchased a registration months ago, but have almost never launched the app. That registration has now paid off, since their sneak peeks have been my default browser on 3 machines since I started using them at #9 a little over a week ago, and I’m thrilled so far (and I don’t think I’m the only one — check out Jon Hicks’ sneaky peeks guide and also his updated Tiger theme, which makes the “sneaky peeks” even nicer)

Thank you, OmniGroup, for continuing to make your browser the best. It looks like you finally have achieved that goal, with honors (and it’s not even final yet!).

This item was posted by Dan Rubin on Thursday, May 18th, 2006.

22 comments on “Default Browser:OmniWeb”

1. Posted by Jon Hicks on Thursday, May 18th, 2006.

Yay! :D

If you haven’t found it already there is a useful wiki for Omniweb: http://omniweb.erlang.no/doku.php

2. Posted by Chris Griffin on Thursday, May 18th, 2006.

I’ve been a “Browser Agnostic” myself every since I switched to a Mac a year ago. When I used a PC as my primary machine it was an easy, clear-cut decision on which browser to use–Firefox. But on a Mac there’s more choices and every browser I use didn’t compare to Firefox on PC.

Firefox on a Mac – Sloooow
    Safari – Hangs up too much, lack of features
    Camino – Lack of features, specifically web developer features
    Never tried Omniweb.

Until yesterday, when I tried out this build of Firefox that Jon mentions.

I was amazed at how fast it ran on my machine, and this build (versus other firefox builds I’ve found) supported extensions! I’ve only been using it for one day but it looks promising.

But at your and Jon’s recommendation, I’m going to give Omniweb a try.

3. Posted by Joost de Valk on Thursday, May 18th, 2006.

Same feeling here, i’ve switched as well :)

4. Posted by Patrick Haney on Thursday, May 18th, 2006.

Damn it, Dan! I have been tempted before (mostly by Jon) to give OmniWeb a serious try, but I always disregarded that temptation because no one else really ever talks about it. Now I might just have to purchase a copy and give it a go.

Why must you people always open my eyes to great software and in turn help me spend my money?

5. Posted by Dan Rubin on Thursday, May 18th, 2006.

We’re only looking out for your best interests, Patrick, because we care :)

Jon: Thanks for the wiki link, consider it bookmarked… “yay!” indeed ;)

6. Posted by Jon Hicks on Thursday, May 18th, 2006.

“I have been tempted before (mostly by Jon) to give OmniWeb a serious try, but I always disregarded that temptation because no one else really ever talks about it.”

LOL! :D

7. Posted by Chris Fonnesbeck on Thursday, May 18th, 2006.

A big improvement over earlier versions, surely. Howver, there are still major drawbacks to using OW regularly: ad blocking is worthless — easily the poorest of all the browsers; you are forced to use the built-in RSS reader, rather than something nice like NewsFire; the search tool is rather mediocre and awkward to use for multiple search engines.

8. Posted by Anthony Baker on Thursday, May 18th, 2006.

Don’t get me wrong — I’m loving OmniWeb 5.5, but what’s up with how they handle RSS feeds? I just clicked on a feed and it opened the sucker up as source in my browser. (Hope they fix this.)

Additionally, I’m bummed that Inquisitor won’t be ported to OmniWeb. I emailed David Watanabe on this last week and he said that there was no chance. (Also mentioned that he thought the port to Camino was a waste of time.)

When OmniWeb 5.0 first released, it kicked Safari’s butt. Now, however, given some of the lovely extensions (like tab sidebar) available, I’m not so sure anymore.

9. Posted by Patrick Haney on Thursday, May 18th, 2006.

Ah ha! I found a reason not to buy OmniWeb: I have a MacBook Pro and it’s not Universal. Yet.

10. Posted by Rachael on Thursday, May 18th, 2006.

is too! all OmniWeb 5.5 SP’s are universal. :)

11. Posted by Dan Rubin on Thursday, May 18th, 2006.

Better watch that kinda talk, Patrick, or else I’ll have to buy a MacBook Pro… ;)

12. Posted by josue salazar on Thursday, May 18th, 2006.

Patrick, i’m sure it’s not that bad in rosetta. And you don’t have to buy it yet, use the betas, and i’m sure it’ll go universal before going final.

13. Posted by Eric on Thursday, May 18th, 2006.

Camino’s my browser of choice… though I use Safari and Firefox when needed.

14. Posted by Patrick Haney on Friday, May 19th, 2006.

Alright, alright. You guys (and gals) win, I downloaded the Sneaky Peek to give it a try (which, as Rachael pointed out, is Universal). I’m going to grab the Jon Hicks Tiger theme while I’m at it and try and figure out what all the buzz is about.

PS. I’m already digging the sidebar with the tab thumbnails

15. Posted by Josh on Friday, May 19th, 2006.

can’t… read… website… too… bright… (j/k)

Glad to see you’ve made the move. ;)

16. Posted by Chris Fonnesbeck on Sunday, May 21st, 2006.

Forgot one other important problem with OW: no type-ahead find!

I dont know how they cannot have this implemented. Its a fundamental feature of a modern browser, as far as I am concerned.

17. Posted by luxuryluke on Monday, May 22nd, 2006.

Not sure what to say.
    But i’m tired of switching browsers already. And why must i pay for it? So many of them are free (sure, i’ll go read about why omniweb isn’t free, leave me alone :).

I switched from Explorer for Mac (gag!) to Safari when it came out, then to Firefox when it came out (then quickly switched back), then tried out Camino (which i’m using now), but I think i still prefer Safari (with Saft and Stand)[thanks, jon for http://pimpmysafari.com and http://pimpmycamino.com !

Now I'm not sure i want to spend the time anymore with new browsers, new bugs, new… aw, well, why not?
    [typing in new url]

Thanks for this, Dan.

18. Posted by Viking KARWUR on Tuesday, May 23rd, 2006.

Ok… it’s better that IE… anyway, nice design…

19. Posted by Brutal on Friday, May 26th, 2006.

I agree that Omniweb is looking more and more tempting.
    When 5.5 is finally finished, and they’ve ironed out all their bugs (especially the single-window mode that isn’t working and annoys the hell out of me) – I will probably switch too. Until then I’ll be sticking with Camino.

Great site btw!

20. Posted by Daniel Aleksandersen on Thursday, June 8th, 2006.

I cannot see what you guys see in the OmniWeb browser!? I never liked it.

I will stick to Opera for now. The latest beta rocks; by the way! You should check out the final version. It is sheduled to be released early this summer.

21. Posted by Brutal on Friday, June 30th, 2006.

I agree that Opera is good – on windows. On OS X it is still ugly as hell.

22. Posted by Thinkbasic on Thursday, November 30th, 2006.

I agree with Daniel,