Default Browser:OmniWeb

Note: Orig­i­nally posted on the Omni­Web Forums (reg­is­tra­tion required).

I’ve been on the fence as far as my pri­mary browser is con­cerned (call me a “browser agnos­tic” if you will), but find myself using Fire­fox with tons of exten­sions for the last 9 months or so, on all my machines (Mac & PC).Camino? Looks nice, but not enough fea­tures (one good exam­ple of mak­ing some­thing too sim­ple in my opin­ion).Safari? Nice, espe­cially with a few plu­g­ins, but gets bogged down too quickly for some rea­son (I can keep Fire­fox open for weeks with tons of tabs, and no prob­lems — Safari? not so much…).

Omni­Web has always looked nice, had nice fea­tures, etc., but as a web devel­oper (and web junkie — ahem, Flickr user…) I haven’t been able to use it because of its older ren­der­ing engine. Even so, I rec­og­nized the impor­tance of try­ing to make the best browser on the Mac, so I pur­chased a reg­is­tra­tion months ago, but have almost never launched the app. That reg­is­tra­tion has now paid off, since their sneak peeks have been my default browser on 3 machines since I started using them at #9 a lit­tle over a week ago, and I’m thrilled so far (and I don’t think I’m the only one — check out Jon Hicks’ sneaky peeks guide and also his updated Tiger theme, which makes the “sneaky peeks” even nicer)

Thank you, Omn­i­Group, for con­tin­u­ing to make your browser the best. It looks like you finally have achieved that goal, with hon­ors (and it’s not even final yet!).

This item was posted by Dan Rubin on Thursday, May 18th, 2006.

22 comments on “Default Browser:OmniWeb”

1. Posted by Jon Hicks on Thursday, May 18th, 2006.

Yay! :D

If you haven’t found it already there is a use­ful wiki for Omni­web: http://omniweb.erlang.no/doku.php

2. Posted by Chris Griffin on Thursday, May 18th, 2006.

I’ve been a “Browser Agnos­tic” myself every since I switched to a Mac a year ago. When I used a PC as my pri­mary machine it was an easy, clear-cut deci­sion on which browser to use–Firefox. But on a Mac there’s more choices and every browser I use didn’t com­pare to Fire­fox on PC.

Fire­fox on a Mac — Sloooow
    Safari — Hangs up too much, lack of fea­tures
    Camino — Lack of fea­tures, specif­i­cally web devel­oper fea­tures
    Never tried Omniweb.

Until yes­ter­day, when I tried out this build of Fire­fox that Jon men­tions.

I was amazed at how fast it ran on my machine, and this build (ver­sus other fire­fox builds I’ve found) sup­ported exten­sions! I’ve only been using it for one day but it looks promising.

But at your and Jon’s rec­om­men­da­tion, I’m going to give Omni­web a try.

3. Posted by Joost de Valk on Thursday, May 18th, 2006.

Same feel­ing here, i’ve switched as well :)

4. Posted by Patrick Haney on Thursday, May 18th, 2006.

Damn it, Dan! I have been tempted before (mostly by Jon) to give Omni­Web a seri­ous try, but I always dis­re­garded that temp­ta­tion because no one else really ever talks about it. Now I might just have to pur­chase a copy and give it a go.

Why must you peo­ple always open my eyes to great soft­ware and in turn help me spend my money?

5. Posted by Dan Rubin on Thursday, May 18th, 2006.

We’re only look­ing out for your best inter­ests, Patrick, because we care :)

Jon: Thanks for the wiki link, con­sider it book­marked… “yay!” indeed ;)

6. Posted by Jon Hicks on Thursday, May 18th, 2006.

I have been tempted before (mostly by Jon) to give Omni­Web a seri­ous try, but I always dis­re­garded that temp­ta­tion because no one else really ever talks about it.”

LOL! :D

7. Posted by Chris Fonnesbeck on Thursday, May 18th, 2006.

A big improve­ment over ear­lier ver­sions, surely. Howver, there are still major draw­backs to using OW reg­u­larly: ad block­ing is worth­less — eas­ily the poor­est of all the browsers; you are forced to use the built-in RSS reader, rather than some­thing nice like News­Fire; the search tool is rather mediocre and awk­ward to use for mul­ti­ple search engines.

8. Posted by Anthony Baker on Thursday, May 18th, 2006.

Don’t get me wrong — I’m lov­ing Omni­Web 5.5, but what’s up with how they han­dle RSS feeds? I just clicked on a feed and it opened the sucker up as source in my browser. (Hope they fix this.)

Addi­tion­ally, I’m bummed that Inquisi­tor won’t be ported to Omni­Web. I emailed David Watan­abe on this last week and he said that there was no chance. (Also men­tioned that he thought the port to Camino was a waste of time.)

When Omni­Web 5.0 first released, it kicked Safari’s butt. Now, how­ever, given some of the lovely exten­sions (like tab side­bar) avail­able, I’m not so sure anymore.

9. Posted by Patrick Haney on Thursday, May 18th, 2006.

Ah ha! I found a rea­son not to buy Omni­Web: I have a Mac­Book Pro and it’s not Uni­ver­sal. Yet.

10. Posted by Rachael on Thursday, May 18th, 2006.

is too! all Omni­Web 5.5 SP’s are universal. :)

11. Posted by Dan Rubin on Thursday, May 18th, 2006.

Bet­ter watch that kinda talk, Patrick, or else I’ll have to buy a Mac­Book Pro… ;)

12. Posted by josue salazar on Thursday, May 18th, 2006.

Patrick, i’m sure it’s not that bad in rosetta. And you don’t have to buy it yet, use the betas, and i’m sure it’ll go uni­ver­sal before going final.

13. Posted by Eric on Thursday, May 18th, 2006.

Camino’s my browser of choice… though I use Safari and Fire­fox when needed.

14. Posted by Patrick Haney on Friday, May 19th, 2006.

Alright, alright. You guys (and gals) win, I down­loaded the Sneaky Peek to give it a try (which, as Rachael pointed out, is Uni­ver­sal). I’m going to grab the Jon Hicks Tiger theme while I’m at it and try and fig­ure out what all the buzz is about.

PS. I’m already dig­ging the side­bar with the tab thumbnails

15. Posted by Josh on Friday, May 19th, 2006.

can’t… read… web­site… too… bright… (j/k)

Glad to see you’ve made the move. ;)

16. Posted by Chris Fonnesbeck on Sunday, May 21st, 2006.

For­got one other impor­tant prob­lem with OW: no type-ahead find!

I dont know how they can­not have this imple­mented. Its a fun­da­men­tal fea­ture of a mod­ern browser, as far as I am concerned.

17. Posted by luxuryluke on Monday, May 22nd, 2006.

Not sure what to say.
    But i’m tired of switch­ing browsers already. And why must i pay for it? So many of them are free (sure, i’ll go read about why omni­web isn’t free, leave me alone :).

I switched from Explorer for Mac (gag!) to Safari when it came out, then to Fire­fox when it came out (then quickly switched back), then tried out Camino (which i’m using now), but I think i still pre­fer Safari (with Saft and Stand)[thanks, jon for http://pimpmysafari.com and http://pimpmycamino.com !

Now I’m not sure i want to spend the time any­more with new browsers, new bugs, new… aw, well, why not?
    [typ­ing in new url]

Thanks for this, Dan.

18. Posted by Viking KARWUR on Tuesday, May 23rd, 2006.

Ok… it’s bet­ter that IE… any­way, nice design…

19. Posted by Brutal on Friday, May 26th, 2006.

I agree that Omni­web is look­ing more and more tempt­ing.
    When 5.5 is finally fin­ished, and they’ve ironed out all their bugs (espe­cially the single-window mode that isn’t work­ing and annoys the hell out of me) — I will prob­a­bly switch too. Until then I’ll be stick­ing with Camino.

Great site btw!

20. Posted by Daniel Aleksandersen on Thursday, June 8th, 2006.

I can­not see what you guys see in the Omni­Web browser!? I never liked it.

I will stick to Opera for now. The lat­est beta rocks; by the way! You should check out the final ver­sion. It is shed­uled to be released early this summer.

21. Posted by Brutal on Friday, June 30th, 2006.

I agree that Opera is good — on win­dows. On OS X it is still ugly as hell.

22. Posted by Thinkbasic on Thursday, November 30th, 2006.

I agree with Daniel,