About this site's lack of design: Yes, it's supposed to look this way — I'm using a sandbox theme for WordPress (see it on GitHub).

Design, random musings, and the Web. Since 1977

Web Designing Magazine

book coverUPDATE: It seems there’s also a book based on this series of arti­cles (“CSS Analy­sis”) titled “CSS Pro­fes­sion­al Style” (thanks Toru). I’ve placed an order, but I’m not sure if the SB arti­cle is in the book… the SB arti­cle is indeed in the book, thanks again to Toru for the confirmation…

Let’s turn back the clock a lit­tle, shall we? And I do mean a lit­tle: Feb­ru­ary 2005 to be exact. Appar­ent­ly, thanks to a few Minty-fresh refer­rer links, I’ve dis­cov­ered that the late-2004/­most of 2005 design of SB was fea­tured in the Feb­ru­ary 2005 issue of Japan’s Web Design­ing mag­a­zine, in an arti­cle about XHTML/CSS. In fact, from the screen shots scans that I was sent (and now can’t find… grr… found them!) the entire arti­cle was about SB.

Cover of the February 2005 issueSo here’s where I need your help: Back issues of the mag­a­zine can only be deliv­ered to address­es in Japan, so I need to enlist the assis­tance of those of you either liv­ing in Japan, or with friends/connections/relatives/business asso­ciates in, Japan, so I can obtain a few copies of that issue.

On a relat­ed note, if you know of any oth­er issues (or pub­li­ca­tions) men­tion­ing some­thing relat­ed to SB, Web­graph, Sine­l­og­ic or even just lit­tle ol’ me, please let me know, and if you can hook me up with a few copies, even better :)

This item was posted by Dan Rubin on Thursday, March 30th, 2006.

9 comments on “Web Designing Magazine”

1. Posted by Sergei on Friday, April 7th, 2006.

Why not try con­tact­ing the guys at Ping­Mag and ask­ing them to get it for you ?

Good luck.

2. Posted by Jina Bolton on Saturday, April 8th, 2006.

I was in the April 2005 issue (a whole arti­cle, too!). They had asked my per­mis­sion to eval­u­ate my site (gosh, not the cur­rent un-fin­ished one, but a pre­vi­ous ver­sion of my site) for a CSS arti­cle, and I told them “sure, just send me a copy”, and they did.

3. Posted by Toru on Sunday, April 9th, 2006.

You might want to know that this series of arti­cle, which is called “CSS Analy­sis”, is now avail­able as a book. The book is called “CSS Pro­fes­sion­al Style” (Author: Miki Ofu­ji), and it con­tains 25 “CSS Analy­sis” arti­cles from Web Design­ing mag­a­zine, plus some his­to­ry and up-to-date tips in using CSS with XHTML.
    I have a copy of this book. So if you have yet to get the copy or see the arti­cle, I can take a pho­to and send it to you.

4. Posted by Dan Rubin on Sunday, April 9th, 2006.

Sergei: Thanks for the sug­ges­tion, I’ll drop them a line.

Jina: I was nev­er con­tact­ed for per­mis­sion, but I don’t mind that — I’d just love a few copies of the issue (which I’d even pay for) and if I can get some­one to trans­late the arti­cle, that would be a bonus.

Toru: I’d love to see a pic­ture of the book (I’m assum­ing the arti­cle about SB is in there?), but I’d also love to buy a few copies (or twist the pub­lish­er’s arm and get a few gratis).

5. Posted by Toru on Sunday, April 9th, 2006.

Yep! SB arti­cle is in the book ! The arti­cles in the book are tak­en from Sept.2003 to Sept.2005 issues. (Jina’s site is in there too.)
    I see that you have placed an order at Amazon.co.jp. Its con­fus­ing when you click “dis­play in Eng­lish”, because noth­ing changes until you realise its the shop­ping cart… Any­way, I will send you the pics later.

6. Posted by Jina Bolton on Sunday, April 9th, 2006.

Dan, I was lucky — there was a Japan­ese girl at my school that trans­lat­ed my arti­cle for me, but she did it vocal­ly, so I don’t have a writ­ten translation.

My arti­cle was also a CSS Analy­sis, so I won­der if I’m in the book.

7. Posted by Jina Bolton on Sunday, April 9th, 2006.

Toru, I just noticed your com­ment — wow, I’m in a book!?! I must get one now.

8. Posted by ephi on Tuesday, April 11th, 2006.

There’s Kinoku­niya in SF, you can back­o­rder the mag­a­zine from that bookstore.

9. Posted by Dan Rubin on Wednesday, April 12th, 2006.

Jina: My copy of the book just arrived, it looks great (it even has a jack­et — and it’s soft-cov­er!). I’ve emailed the pub­lish­ers about get­ting a few free copies; I think I’ll get in touch with the author next, maybe get a signed copy :)

ephi: Thanks for the link, I’ll con­tact them and see if they can help.