Guru on Paper: Jakob Nielsen

A reader of this blog suggested I take on Jakob
Nielsen
to practice my drawing skills. Instead of waiting another two years
before using a pencil again I decided it’s a good thing to draw more frequently
(additionally, it really proves relaxing). Besides, Nielsen really is a joy
for any cartoonist — the man is almost a caricature in real life.

dr. jakob nielsen

As opposed to last time I had enough material to work with. Nielsen’s
assortment of pressphoto’s
was definitively useful in this case (or should I say usable?) This illustration is a reply to Herasimchuk — seems like he has a new fan. I depicted Nielsen
as I would like to see him — and I’m sure many designers will agree. Show
the love brother, show the love… Do not be afraid, we will not bite. Back to work kids!

This item was posted by dhilhorst on Thursday, April 15th, 2004.

10 comments on “Guru on Paper: Jakob Nielsen”

1. Posted by Gordon on Thursday, April 15th, 2004.

heh, like the little ‘design by fire’ logo on his jumper – nice touch!

2. Posted by Gordon on Thursday, April 15th, 2004.

Note to self: scroll down before commenting

*slaps forehead*

3. Posted by Jon Hicks on Thursday, April 15th, 2004.

So good to see natural media getting onto design blogs. Keep this up, I’m enjoying these!! How about doing Tufte next?

4. Posted by Eliot on Thursday, April 15th, 2004.

Nice… another excellent entry in the nascent “Guru on paper” series.

Is it just me, or does it look like Jakob might have a bit of a B.O. problem? If so, Andrei might want to reconsider that hug.

5. Posted by Cameron Moll on Thursday, April 15th, 2004.

I’m with Hicks on this one. Enjoying immensely. Although I don’t expect such an embrace from Yakob anytime soon…

6. Posted by Andrei Herasimchuk on Thursday, April 15th, 2004.

Absolutely hilarious. I love the DxF schwag promo as well. 8^)

7. Posted by Didier Hilhorst on Thursday, April 15th, 2004.

Thanks all for the nice and encouraging words. All the small flies that seem to follow Nielsen wherever he goes are his loyal supporters that smell fame and wisdom in the hope of catching some of his glory. See, in The Netherlands if someone is rather cocky we usually reply with “can someone open a window, please?” I’m sure the idea transcends culture and language!

Next time I will give Edward Tufte a try (thanks for the suggestion Jon). But first I really need to finish this paper for university. Although it doesn’t exactly take ages to draw these I promessed myself to finish the paper first!

8. Posted by Shaun Inman on Saturday, April 17th, 2004.

Looks like your illustration got through to Nielsen, he’s lightening up already.

9. Posted by Didier Hilhorst on Saturday, April 17th, 2004.

Shaun: nice one, indeed dope! The brother is obviously keeping it real. Bo!

10. Posted by Sharif on Tuesday, April 20th, 2004.

HAHA! Very nice…

As long as you’re taking requests, maybe your next one could be from the Bloggers side of the Gurus v. Bloggers competition?