Hakuna Matata

This is what total relaxation looks like—atleast to me. I took a long
walk with the dog into the backcountry, far from the city, traffic and stress.
It was cold (~5C°) but otherwise lovely weather. The only piece of
technology I took with me was my mobile phone with integrated camera—I decided to capture this
moment of intense enjoyment. Maybe it will somehow make everyone happy. So
what’s your favorite activity or spot to get away from it all?

This item was posted by dhilhorst on Sunday, March 28th, 2004.

9 comments on “Hakuna Matata”

1. Posted by Mike on Sunday, March 28th, 2004.

Late afternoon on my favorite golf course. Playing by myself, mid-August, with nobody in front of me or behind me.

Sitting on a bench behind a tee box and soaking it all in.

2. Posted by David Barrett on Sunday, March 28th, 2004.

What phone is that? The image quality is much better than anything I’ve seen so far.

3. Posted by Didier Hilhorst on Sunday, March 28th, 2004.

Mike — Oh, I can so relate man. We discussed playing a round of golf but it was really too cold (hey, I can’t have my hands freezing off while putting…) I’m pretty much a good weather player although I’ll occasionally hit a ball (once every week though) during the winter just to keep the swing going.

David — I actually have an old one. The first one to have a camera to be precise: Nokia 7650. Remember that there was a lot of sun that day. The 0.5 megapixel camera needs that amount of light to produce decent pictures. Not enough light results in poor and grainy photos (and I’ve got a ton of those). Oh, and make sure you’re not moving at all when taking the picture. Any movement, even the slightest, and the quality degrades dramatically.

4. Posted by Chris Vincent on Sunday, March 28th, 2004.

I’ve got a lovely, cushiony couch in my living room that’s just perfect for relaxing. If I’m feeling more active, I’ll take a walk around my neighborhood, or wrestle with my dog.

5. Posted by justin goodlett on Monday, March 29th, 2004.

My favorite place to relax would have to be on the couch with a book and some Newcastle – or on the front porch watching all the people walk by. It’s quite enjoyable.

6. Posted by Dustin on Monday, March 29th, 2004.

Very nice photos. As for your question, I think that is my problem… I have nowhere to get away from it all. Even when I sit down and read a book, I always put on some nice relaxing ambient music on in the background on my stereo. Technology has a huge hold on me.

7. Posted by mattymcg on Monday, March 29th, 2004.

Nice shots for a phone!

Man is it hard to get away from it all living in central Tokyo. Even if you sit on a train for a couple of hours, if it is a weekend then half of the city follows you.

The biggest thing I miss about Australia is chilling on the beach. Well, the fact that there IS no beach. So when I go home in a couple of months I will be doing a lot of squishing my feet in the sand, walking along the shore, skimming rocks, writing silly messages in the sand with a stick, doing handstands in the water, and challenging my buddies to race me to the buoy 300 metres out… that’s my way of relaxing.

8. Posted by Jennifer Grucza on Thursday, April 1st, 2004.

Nice doggie! :)

My ideal way of relaxing is to wander around the woods for a while, especially in the fall when there isn’t too much undergrowth left, but before it gets too cold. I used to love wandering around my grandparents’ land (40 acres in rural Southern Illinois) with my family’s dog, Pepper, running ahead of me. Sometimes I’d take a camera, sometimes not. I’d try to get lost then find my way back again. I’d try to find creative ways to cross the creek without getting wet. I’d find milkweed plants and open their pods to get to the cottony fiber inside.

It’s a little harder to find a similar environment here in Boston. The nice places I’ve found haven’t been nearly as deserted as I’d like. And it’s really too bad I can’t take one of my cats traipsing about the woods with me. If I try to put a leash on them, they just fall down and won’t move. And I don’t trust them outside without a leash. And that’s if they wouldn’t totally freak out about being outside (they’re indoor cats).

9. Posted by Didier Hilhorst on Friday, April 2nd, 2004.

Jennifer – She’s indeed a nice doggie though she never listens. Usually it’s a lot of fun, but as soon as she finds some hole that might have anything living in it she starts digging like crazy and ignores everything around her. Which includes me. Ugh.