Making Some Progress

A few notes of interest, while we continue to chip away at the ever-growing to-to list:

Keep checking in, we’ll be back soon…

This item was posted by Dan Rubin on Monday, October 20th, 2003.

15 comments on “Making Some Progress”

1. Posted by Mike on Tuesday, October 21st, 2003.

Wow, great job on those sites… even with a looming deadlines they definitely look great!

What’s up with TalkSmall? I’m already excited ;)

Mike

2. Posted by Nate on Tuesday, October 21st, 2003.

Hey Dan, very impressed with the new sites. Keep up the good work!

3. Posted by Emilio Vanni on Tuesday, October 21st, 2003.

You’re damn fast :)

Great Job!

4. Posted by paul on Tuesday, October 21st, 2003.

brilliant work.

5. Posted by Lea on Tuesday, October 21st, 2003.

Very pretty. And under tight deadlines to boot. Tho, I bet it helps that both of those sites have only four main navigational links, and that you could repeat some of the imagery in the pages. Tho I frown on the fact they “forced” you to get that done in such short notice. If you can be that good in so little time, I wonder what would happen given more thought and time. :)

6. Posted by Dan on Wednesday, October 22nd, 2003.

Mike: Thanks — as for TalkSmall, well… you’ll just have to wait and see (that’s why it’s called a teaser :-)

Emilio: We do what we can.

Paul: Cheers mate, coming from you, that’s high praise indeed (2:30 does some of the nicest work I’ve seen)

Lea: The simplicity of both sites made the tight deadlines possible. Even with that though, when you add the administrative time for each (client contact and communication mainly), along with the fact we were working on other, larger projects at the same time, it still required a few all-nighters to get them done in time. As for what we can do with more time, hopefully a few of the projects we have still in the proposal stages will come to fruition and let us strut our long-term stuff :-)

7. Posted by Benvolio on Wednesday, October 22nd, 2003.

Great work Dan!

The simple + clean IA, UI and colour palette make both sites a breeze to navigate… I’m envious!

Benvolio

8. Posted by francis on Wednesday, October 22nd, 2003.

Dan, those sites are awesome…great work!

Only comment would be to have logos linking back to the home page…minor details!

/ff.

9. Posted by Keith on Wednesday, October 22nd, 2003.

Those are some great sites! Nice work!

10. Posted by Dave S. on Thursday, October 23rd, 2003.

The partnership is starting to bear some pretty tasty fruit. I could swear I recognize that SharkRodeo from a certain e-mail a few weeks back…. hmmm…. ;)

Great job, guys.

11. Posted by Louis on Thursday, October 23rd, 2003.

Very good-looking sites. Maybe you could post some quick tips on streamlining the design process for the benefit of designers (like myself) whose turnaround time isn’t nearly as fast.

12. Posted by Dan R. on Friday, October 24th, 2003.

Benvolio: Thanks :-)

Francis: We’re aware of the logo-link-to-home issue, it was skipped on both to meet the deadlines. One of the issues is that we used CSS image replacement to turn a text-filled h1 tag into the lovely logos you see in the browser, but that makes it less-than-straightforward to add a link to that element, while still hiding the text and displaying the logo graphic. We may just switch to an inline img tag for both, since with these sites there isn’t really any semantic or accessibility gained by using CSS image replacement.

Keith: Thanks for saying so!

Dave S: Hmm, I wonder who you’ve been talking with lately? ;-)

Louis: Great suggestion! After things slow down a bit, I will take some time to explain some schedule, production and design tricks and publish them here. One warning though: You can usually expect the solution to a lightning quick development process to include very little sleep (for example, these last few weeks I’ve been averaging 3 nights of sleep per week, which adds up to a whole bunch of all-nighters (I’m finishing another 40 hour day right now…)

13. Posted by Scrivs on Sunday, October 26th, 2003.

Glad to see you are getting the business you obviously truly deserve. Thanks for the bookmarks…always good to come across new inspiration.

The inability to link to h1’s using the FIR is the only thing keeping me back from using it sadly.

14. Posted by Mike on Monday, October 27th, 2003.

Scrivs,

You can check out the image replacement technique I use at my blog. Someone recently posted a comment (way at the bottom) about a good way to use image replacement with clickable header images, so maybe it’ll give you some ideas :)

15. Posted by Scrivs on Monday, October 27th, 2003.

Mike: Thank you very much.