Of Bug Fixes and Structural Markup
In today’s Daily Report, Zeldman had this to say about my bug fix:
“Dan’s solution is simple and it works. But it also wastes bandwidth on nonsemantic tags to force a display issue in an uncooperative browser. This is the very problem designing with standards is supposed to solve. It’s not our goal to find fault, but to point out how pervasive old school methods are, even among forward-thinking developers. While we greatly appreciate Dan’s help, the Hypocrisy Police would toss us in the hoosegow if we used this method on a site for a book that recommends using clean, structural markup.”
Well, since I’m also “Never one to sit on his hands when there is a problem to be solved,” I must take this as a challenge, and create not only a standards-compliant fix, worthy of inclusion in the inner workings of Zeldman’s DWWS site, but to prove that I am not simply a problem solving machine, operating sans-thought and reason. No, my goal in life is to create structural markup, with all design controlled by CSS, and damnit, I’m not going to let the record show anything to the contrary!
Watch this space for my final solution.
UPDATE: Well, as luck would have it, someone else found the solution before I did. By replacing display:inline with display:block and float:left on the li elements, Alexander Hill solved Zeldman’s problem without using any non-semantic markup, and it works in all major browsers. C’est la vie.
This item was posted byon Thursday, June 12th, 2003.
You can follow comments on this item via the RSS 2.0 feed.
Comments are closed.